What We Believe
One of the most fundamental beliefs of Desert Mission is found in Luke 6:36, “Be compassionate as God is compassionate.” We feel Jesus is asking us to listen and understand each other’s lives, not to judge, so we may be a presence of good news to all. As Disciples of Christ we are to love others as we have been loved: with acceptance, commitment and unconditionally. This means we stand for and especially with those who are made to feel unwelcomed and excluded by others.
We are finding our way to God. We see Christianity as a journey and an experience that is best undertaken in an authentic Christ centered community.
We are a community of believers developing a relationship with God, some of us for the first time. We are on a journey to share that story and the hope it brings, and to sojourn together towards Christ.
- God is a creating God.
- God is love.
- Jesus is the Son of God.
- God gives us spiritual gifts and trusts us to use them.
- God desires an active and intimate relationship with us.
- God speaks to us through the Holy Scriptures and the Holy Spirit.
- God desires the common good for everyone.
- Jesus is our life model (Lord).
- Through Jesus we experience God’s grace (Savior).
- You are loved unconditionally by God.
- You have a role in God’s plan and we, as the church, are here to help you discover that place (discipleship).
- We are a people who question, learn and share.
Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.